Thursday, June 20, 2013

Assignment recap

1. Bolex Long Take- I love bolex.... its that simple. I first got to use one in shannons doc class and absolutely fell in love. I have always been fond of capturing light and images on celluloid and getting lost in dark rooms but before that bolex experience, I had only had the pleasure of working with stills. Ever since seeing the surf film "Shelter" as a boy, I have dreamed about filming on 16mm. The added aspect of filming processing and transfering all in a couple hours made it even more exciting. I truly enjoyed this assignment fully.
2.  Film Manipulation- Scratching, painting, cutting, contact printing, drawing. This assignment put me back to grade school in the only good way possible. I felt like I was back in Mrs. Applegate's 1st grade art class. The freedom to create whatever I could ever imagine was amazing. I had a blast with this project and also really ended up loving the final result. I will most likely use this actual footage in future films in credits or a graphic for a company.
3. Crowdsourcing- Just the concept of this project got me giddy. As soon as Andre showed the Johnny Cash Project video, I was hooked. Also, the past semester class's work was so phenomenal that it gave me something to strive for. I had a really fun time drawing, for it had been a while since I last did. Also, it allowed some of my friends to share in this fun, and they were very appreciative for the opportunity to create also. Also, the soundscape was very fun to work through, so many ways to go. I am so excited to see the final result tonight.
4.Anaglyph 3d- This assignment was surprisingly really fun. Although I am not the most savvy with crafts and creating things out of cardboard, I actually truly enjoyed it. It was also really exciting to get in front of the camera as I dont ever get to do that. The creating 3d part was very exciting and complex. The filming was tedious and so was the work in after effects. However, it totally paid off when watching it with the glasses on for the first time.
5. Animation- This assignment was very interesting to say the least. It had two extremes. During the beginning process of production, I was the most miserable I have ever been on set. Our group had no ideas and were struggling to find any and time was a-ticking away. But as soon as we found our golden ticket we took off. It was definitely fun but such a tedious and time consuming task for such little reward (10 shots for 1 second!) that it was still tough. After putting it into premiere, though, and seeing what we created, I realized we had done something really awesome and was super stoked. I definitely see myself using something similar in future films I create.
6. Media Fast Long Take- Honestly, I really had a hard time with this project. I really enjoyed the fast and when we were presented with the task of creating a 1 minute long take to reflect it, ideas were pouring in along with excitement. The trouble was I just couldn't put my mind around any of them. I felt like this was an opportunity to really do something creative and cool but my brainhole failed me. I liked the project we put forth but wasnt crazy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment